Friday, June 22, 2012

Chapter 1


The day my sisters aged up into adults, mother took pictures of them and told me to take them over to Prince Charming's house so that he could decided whether or not to invite them to his beach party where he would be looking at all the single ladies of age for his bride.
The run to Prince Charming's Estate was two hours long and I was very tired when I arrived at his door. I rang the bell, and took a new breath.
The door opened and the most beautiful man, I had ever seen stood before my eyes.
"You must be the Starling's Maid, I was told you would be here a hour ago. Please come inside." His voice was deep and manly. I could feel my heart flutter, and butterflies danced in my tummy.
"Yes, sir. I'm sorry I'm late."
"Do you have the pictures?"
" Yes. sir." I handed him the white folder with Cindy and Ellen Starling written in my mother's beautiful handwriting.
"Thank you, you know you look a little to young to be a maid... How old are you?"
Fear crept into my eyes, I wasn't allowed to talk about myself and if anyone ever found out what was happening I'd be forced into the basement for the rest of my life.
"I'm sorry, sir but I have to go."
"Please just tell me how old you are. I want to help yo-"
I ran out the door, and as fast as I could down the streets to my house. I'd already be in trouble for being late. Hopefully Prince wouldn't call my mother. Please don't call my mother.
I can't go into the basement.

When I arrived home, no one was there I did everything I could to make the house shine anymore before I went into my attic room to sleep. I did everything, even made dinner and put it the fridge just in case they didn't eat while they were out.
The next morning while I was cleaning the laundry room, a strange new woman came up to me and introduced herself as Hanna the new live in house keeper.
"Your mother asked me to tell you that school begins at nine a.m and the bus will be here in a hour to get you. Look presentable. You are going for today to earn your GED and then you are to come straight home."
With that she walked out of the room, my birthday was tomorrow and she's hired a new housekeeper? Someone to share the work with so I won't leave? Will she be kicking me out?
I stood there wondering, and thats when I heard the horn honk outside the front of the house I took off running and made it just in time.
I felt odd as I stood outside the school building for the first time, I felt so out of place. I didn't belong here, I was nothing. Nothing special, I should be at home making lunch and helping Ellen and Cindy prepare for the Prince's party tonight.
As I walked in and followed Mrs. Parker to the room, wheere I'll be taking my tests I started to think of the Prince. His eyes were beautiful blue and his black hair made them glow. He was handsome and perfect. He had wanted to help me. He had cared.
The test took five hours, and I arrived home a few mintutes after everyone had left. I creeped up to my room pulled on the dress I wore when we threw formal parties and headed to the beach to "Crash" the Prince's party for lack of better words.
I stood on the hill overlooking the beach, watched all the women swoon over Prince. Watched as my sister's cried on my mother after they were rejected and I headed down the hill as soon as they were out of sight.
"You there, your the Starling's maid. You ran out so fast the other day, with that look of fear on your face. I hope you don't mind, but I did some snooping.. Esme, I'm so sorry that all this has happened to you."
"You know?"
"I know."
Tears started to fall from my eyes, I quickly wiped them away.
"Please don't say anything, you have no idea what they will do to me."
"I won't but I want to help you... When's your birthday?"
"Tomorrow."
"Can you get away?"
"I can try."
"If you can come to my house, I have a idea... and Don't read the papers."
"Why shouldn't I read the pape-"
"Just do as I say sweet Esme."
"Go now, curfew is in a hour.. I can only imagine what will happen if your arrested."
No one was home, when I got there. I laid on Cindy's bed and closed my eyes as dreams of a wonderful normal life filled my head.
I awoke to my mother standing above me, I quickly got out the bed. One look out the window said it was still in the early evening.
"You ungrateful little witch, I've been out looking for you and I hear from Jorge you were at the Prince's party chating him up up? After everything I've done for you? I let you live here, I've kept you like I promised your father on his death bed and you betray me?"
"I'm sorry Mo-"
"Don't call me your mother, you are not my child. I don't claim you."
"Go to the Basement Esme."
"Yes, Mrs. Starling."

















No comments:

Post a Comment